The Ultimate Immune-Boosting Soup
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 60 mins
Total time: 1 hour 15 mins
Serves: 6-8 bowls
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 lb shitake mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 12 cups water
- 4 heads baby bok choy, bottoms chopped off
- 1/2 head kale, chopped
- optional: 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
1. Chop off the bottom of the stem from your mushrooms and discard. Separate stems from tops and slice tops and remaining stem if necessary, into large pieces. You will only discard the very bottom of hte steps, not the full stems if they contain many nutritional benefits.
2. Heat up coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat.
3. Add onions and saute for 5 minutes or until translucent.
4. Add in garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
5. Add in celery and mushrooms and saute for about 10 minutes or until mushrooms have wilted.
6. Add in spices (including ginger, if using) and water and bring to a boil.
7. Then let simmer, covered for 1 hour or as long.
8. Add bok choy and kale in last 10 minutes of cooking to wilt.
9. Serve warm or store up to 1 week in the refrigerator.